Here's a delicious side salad for grilled or roasted chicken, pork, or fish. Carrots and cabbage are the crisp starting points, while two types of seeds -- pumpkin and sunflower -- add extra crunch (and heart-healthy fats). First toasting the seeds in a dry skillet until fragrant and golden will bring out their flavor. All that's needed is a bit of olive oil and vinegar (rice vinegar is used here, but cider vinegar would also be delicious).
- 2 carrots
- 1/4 cabbage
- 1/2 onions
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- chives (chopped)
- olive oil
- rice vinegar
- 1Grate the carrots. Chop the cabbage and onion. Add all the vegetables to a large mixing bowl.
- 2Stir in the pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
- 3Season with salt and pepper. Add chives, olive oil, and rice vinegar to taste.
- 4Serve immediately.