Croque MademoiselleMadeleine Cocina
Croque Mademoiselle is the vegetarian counterpart to Croque Monsier, which means “gentleman crunch,” a delectable dish that originated in French cafes and bars as a quick snack. It is a perfect way to blend the gooey goodness of Emmental cheese with healthy zucchini and aromatic spices. The sandwich is pan fried to perfection. It can be a flavorful lunch, dinner or brunch. The Provencal herbs, mustard, and nutmeg provide a flavorful dance for your taste buds.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ground black pepper
- 1 pinch herbs (Provencal)
- 1 zucchini (medium, cut into 4 slices)
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 1 1/4 cups cheese (grated Emmental)
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Preheat a stovetop grill on high heat.
- 3Sprinkle olive oil, salt, black pepper and Provencal herbs on the slices of zucchini.
- 4Place the zucchini on the grill and cook each side for 4 minutes. Set them aside for later use.
- 5Melt the butter in a separate pan. Add the flour and cook it on low heat for 1 minute.
- 6Add milk and stir it until it becomes a thick texture. Add the mustard and nutmeg, and set the mixture aside for later use.
- 7Spread some butter on each slice of bread.
- 8Add 6 tablespoon of cheese on the side of the bread that is not buttered.
- 9Place the slices of zucchini on the cheese, and then add another 6 tablespoons of cheese onto the zucchini.
- 10Place the other slice of bread on top making sure that the side with butter on it is facing out. Grill the sandwich on a skillet or toaster oven for about 3 minutes on each side.
- 11Place the sandwich in a casserole dish and pour the sauce on top of it. Add in the remaining cheese onto the sandwich. Bake the sandwich for about 5 minutes or until the cheese on top melts. Serve hot.
PER SERVING *
|Calories240Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.