Remove All from Shopping List
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, make a roux by melting 2 Tb butter and stirring in the flour. Cook for about 2 minutes and then slowly add the milk, whisking constantly for another 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes, whisking occasionally, until mixture thickens. Stir into the sauce ½ cup of the cheese, the Dijon mustard, and salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste. Set aside.
- Assemble the sandwiches by spreading 1-2 tablespoons of the Mornay sauce on one side of each piece of bread, layer with the ham and remaining cheese and place together to form the sandwich. Spread remaining butter on the outside of the bread slices and place buttered side down in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted inside. Transfer sandwiches to a baking sheet. Set skillet aside to cook the eggs later.
- Preheat broiler. Divide the remaining Mornay sauce over the top of each sandwich and broil until the tops are browned and bubbling.
- While the sandwiches are broiling, lightly fry the eggs sunny-side up over medium heat in the skillet. Remove the sandwiches from the broiler and top each one with an egg. Use a fork and knife to devour the Croque-Madame and make another one because it's soooo good!
|Calories400Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.