- 1 onion (peeled, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 14 ounces plum tomatoes
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- onion rings
- 2 medium eggs (beaten)
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 4 ounces breadcrumbs (white)
- 4 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/3 cup flour (seasoned)
- 1 pound pork shoulder (or leg steaks, cut into strips)
- 2 onions (peeled, thickly sliced and separated into rings)
- oil (for deep frying)
- For the tomato dip, cook the onion 3-4 mins in the oil until softened. Add the tomatoes and crush with the back of a spoon. Stir in the vegetable stock, tomato purée and oregano. Season and simmer 20-25 mins until very thick.
- For the pork, place the eggs and milk in a shallow dish. Whisk together with a fork. Mix together the breadcrumbs and 2 tsp sage on a plate. Spoon 1/4 flour onto another plate. Dip the pork in the flour, then in the egg mixture and finally in the breadcrumbs. Place on a baking sheet and chill 30 mins.
- For the onion rings, mix together the remaining seasoned flour and sage. Dip the sliced onions in the remaining egg, then coat in the flour and sage mixture.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan to 375°F, or until a piece of bread browns in 60 seconds. Deep-fry the pork, in batches, 3-4 mins, until golden brown. Deep-fry the onion rings 1-2 mins, until pale golden. Drain on crumpled paper towels and serve immediately with the tomato dip.
|Calories510Calories from Fat200|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat200|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.