Crispy Corn Bread LoavesL'Antro dell'Alchimista
These loaves are more similar to baguettes than Southern-style cornbread, since they are leavened with yeast and involve miaking a "starter" package that is the secret of many a professional bread baker. They do have a subtle flavor from the cornmeal that's mixed with the bread flour and all-purpose flour in the dough. The recipe calls for lard, which also imparts a distinctive taste and texture, but you can replace that with softened butter or even olive oil, if preferred.
- 400 grams flour
- 30 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- 15 grams barley (malt)
- 200 grams flour
- 100 grams strong flour
- 100 milliliters milk
- 100 grams corn flour (very fine variety)
- 30 grams lard
- 20 grams corn flour
- 12 grams salt
- 1 egg yolks
- 1Sift the ‘0’ flour in the mixer bowl and add the crumbled yeast by hand. Add the malt and 200 milliliters of water. Knead until the dough is smooth.
- 2Place the dough on a work surface and knead it briefly by hand, shaping it into a ball.
- 3Place the ball of dough in a bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let it rise for 30 minutes at a temperature of 28C.
- 4Place the ‘0’ flour and the strong flour in the mixer bowl, then add the dough from the first kneading, the very fine cornflour, cornflour, milk, and 50 milliliters of water.
- 5Knead briefly, just enough to combine the ingredients, then incorporate the salt, the lard, and the egg yolk and knead well.
- 6Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rise for 40 minutes.
- 7Place the dough on a work surface and divide it into 4 pieces.
- 8Shape the 4 pieces into 4 rectangles measuring 32x14 centimeters.
- 9Roll them up, one by one, and shape them into 4 loaves, 40 centimeters long and 4 centimeters wide.
- 10Place some cornflour on a kitchen towel and place the loaves on top, make some diagonal incisions with a sharp knife, cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let them rise for 30 to 40 minutes more.
- 11Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for approximately 25 minutes or until golden.
PER SERVING *
|Calories880Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.