- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup carrot (diced)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 15 ounces kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 4 cups long grain white rice (cooked)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 sheets pie dough (packages of 9” round, Note that you’ll need 4 pieces of 9” round pie dough total for this recipe.)
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Warm olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add carrot and celery and sauté until softened, approximately 12 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for just 3 minutes more. Remove cooked mixture to the bowl of your KitchenAid® Stand Mixer. Add beans, rice, paprika, onion powder, black pepper, white pepper, salt and oregano, and mix on low speed until seasoning is evenly distributed and filling mixture is uniform, approximately 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, roll out pastry sheets and, using a 3” cutter, cut out rounds for empanada shells (you can press together, re-roll and cut any pastry scraps that remain in order to get all of the shells you’ll need). Top each shell with 1-2 teaspoons of the filling mixture, carefully wrapping and pulling the edges of the pastry around to seal in a half-moon shape, and press the edges together with a fork to lock. Place the formed empanadas on sheet trays lined with parchment paper and finish each with a light brush of beaten egg. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until empanadas are slightly puffed and golden brown. Remove and serve immediately or store in a covered container and serve at room temperature.
|Calories80Calories from Fat9|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat9|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.