- 1 frozen pie crust (9 inch, baked)
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms (110 g diced, ½ inch)
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots (20 g)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (30 g)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup milk (240 g)
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 g)
- 200 grams eggs
- 80 grams egg yolks
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces shredded fontina cheese
- Preheat KitchenAid® Countertop Oven to 400°F and place Oven Rack in Position B. Coat Broiler Pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine mushrooms, shallots, oil, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt and thyme in large bowl. Toss until coated. Spoon onto prepared pan in single layer.
- Bake 20 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Move Oven Rack to Position E and reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Whisk milk, cream, whole eggs, egg yolks, ½ teaspoon salt and nutmeg in large bowl.
- Spread mushroom mixture and cheese evenly onto bottom of prepared pie crust.Place on Oven Rack and gently pour in egg mixture.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is light golden brown. A knife inserted 1 inch from the edge will come out clean and the center will be set, but soft. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Chef’s Tip: Vary the fillings to your liking.For instance, substitute ½ cup cooked chopped bacon and ½ cup chopped scallions for the mushrooms and shallots, and shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese for the fontina.