Creme CaramelL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Silky creme caramel — an endlessly appealing iteration of flan — consists of vanilla-infused custard that's then placed in molds and baked in a water bath until jiggly-firm. When the custards are completely cool, run a knife around the top edge of each ramekin and turn the them upside down on a plate. Although some versions incorporate the caramel at the custard's base before cooking, this version lacquers the plated dessert with sweet, easy-to-prepare stove-top caramel.
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 liter milk
- 1 vanilla beans
- 150 grams sugar
- butter (as needed)
- 1To prepare the creme caramel, preheat the oven to 150–160C.
- 2Place the milk in a medium saucepan and bring it to a boil with the vanilla bean, then turn off the heat and let the milk cool.
- 3Beat the eggs with 120 grams of sugar until the mixture is foamy.
- 4Butter the mold or the individual molds, and pour the remaining 30 grams of caramelized sugar inside.
- 5Put the milk through a sieve and add it to the egg mixture then pour the cream in the mold.
- 6Place the mold or molds in a pan with water and cover with aluminum foil, with a few holes for the steam to be released.
- 7Bake until firm.
- 8Remove the creme caramel from the oven and allow it to cool completely before removing it from the mold.
- 9Serve chilled.
- 10To prepare the caramel, pour the sugar in a heavy bottom saucepan and cook on high heat, stirring continually with a wooden spoon.
- 11As soon as the sugar begins to crystallize, lower the heat and continue stirring. After one or two minutes the sugar begins to become colored, lower the heat to the minimum. It may be necessary to remove the saucepan from the heat while stirring, then returning it and repeating this until the sugar has caramelized and is ready to be used.
PER SERVING *
|Calories380Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.