- 1 yellow onion (or white, finely diced)
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups water
- 16 ounces split peas
- 2 large carrots (peeled and finely diced)
- 1 cup unsweetened soymilk (or whole milk)
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes (halves, finely diced or minced)
- 3 sesame oil (shakes of)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (gluten-free, if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 dash chili powder
- parmesan cheese (Sprinkle, or nutritional yeast on top for garnish, optional)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions and oregano. Saute gently until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add water, split peas, and all spices. Stir well and bring to a boil. Stir again, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and allow to simmer for half an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots, sun-dried tomatoes, and milk. Stir well, and allow to simmer another 15 or 20 minutes, until carrots, tomatoes, and peas are soft.
- Use an immersion hand-blender to whip the soup until it's nice and creamy. Do a taste test to see if you need to add any more spices or cook a little while longer.
- Serve with a generous sprinkle of parmesan or nutritional yeast on top.