Creamy GizzardsO Meu Tempero
Here's the answer to what to do with those gizzards that you are always told to "reserve for another use" when roasting a whole chicken (or turkey). Put them to use in creating a main course that's delicious served with plain white rice or crusty bread and a simple green salad. In this recipe, the gizzards are marinated with chili sauce and lemon juice before sauteeing with garlic, onion, and bacon until very tender, then they are simmered with a milk mixture to form a gravy.
- 800 grams chicken gizzards (ready to cook)
- chili sauce
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- olive oil
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 200 milliliters white wine
- 100 milliliters milk
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- cilantro (chopped)
- 1Halve gizzards.
- 2Season with salt, chili sauce and lemon juice.
- 3Marinate for 1 hour. In a saucepan, heat olive oil and lightly sauté onions and garlic.
- 4 Add gizzards and bacon. Simmer for about 1 hour, until gizzards are tender.
- 5In another saucepan, mix tomato paste and wine. Cook, uncovered, until wine evaporates.
- 6Add tomato paste to gizzards and mix. In a bowl, mix milk, corn starch and mustard.
- 7Pour mixture into pan with gizzards and stir until sauce thickens.
- 8To serve, garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley, if desired.
- 9Accompany with white rice or bread.