Here's the answer to what to do with those gizzards that you are always told to "reserve for another use" when roasting a whole chicken (or turkey). Put them to use in creating a main course that's delicious served with plain white rice or crusty bread and a simple green salad. In this recipe, the gizzards are marinated with chili sauce and lemon juice before sauteeing with garlic, onion, and bacon until very tender, then they are simmered with a milk mixture to form a gravy.
- 800 grams chicken gizzards (ready to cook)
- chili sauce
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- olive oil
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 200 milliliters white wine
- 100 milliliters milk
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- cilantro (chopped)
- Halve gizzards.
- Season with salt, chili sauce and lemon juice.
- Marinate for 1 hour. In a saucepan, heat olive oil and lightly sauté onions and garlic.
- Add gizzards and bacon. Simmer for about 1 hour, until gizzards are tender.
- In another saucepan, mix tomato paste and wine. Cook, uncovered, until wine evaporates.
- Add tomato paste to gizzards and mix. In a bowl, mix milk, corn starch and mustard.
- Pour mixture into pan with gizzards and stir until sauce thickens.
- To serve, garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley, if desired.
- Accompany with white rice or bread.