Drawing its inspiration from Portuguese cuisine, this creamy cod casserole makes a delicious savory dinner entree. Layering fried potato slices and onions rings with fresh cod fillets, this seafood casserole is topped with a creamy bechamel sauce and covered with cheese and breadcrumbs. Baked until the cheese is melty and the breadcrumbs are golden, this casserole is best served warm but can be easily be reheated as leftovers throughout the week.
- 4 cod fillets
- 800 grams potatoes
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 50 grams flour
- 40 grams butter
- 350 milliliters milk
- 150 milliliters cream
- black pepper
- breadcrumbs (or grated parmesan)
- Cook the cod in 500 milliliters of water for 2 minutes.
- Drain, remove the skin and bones, and leave to cool on a plate.
- Set aside the cooking water.
- Peel the potatoes, slice into discs, and fry in abundant hot oil until soft but not brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Peel and slice the onions in rings
- Peel and chop the garlic.
- Pour out most of the oil used for the potatoes and gently fry the onion and garlic in the same pan until soft. Drain and set aside.
- To prepare the bechamel, gently melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and stir well.
- Gradually add 300 milliliters of the fish cooking water.
- Stir continuously on a low heat.
- When it begins to thicken, add the cream and milk, season with salt, nutmeg and pepper. Continue stirring until it thickens.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Grease an oven pan with butter.
- Line the base of the pan with the potatoes, garlic and onion.
- Place the cod on top, cover with the sauce and sprinkle with breadcrumbs or grated cheese.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
PER SERVING *
|Calories480Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.