Delectable Creamy Coconut Cake baked with Whole Wheat Pastry Flour and Less Sugar and Butter. Feel good about enjoying cake once in a while.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil (room temperature)
- 1 cup organic cane sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup coconut milk (I use Whole Foods 365 brand in a can, not in a box)
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (100%)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup coconut (Unsweetened Medium Shred)
- powdered sugar (for Dusting)
- organic cane sugar (Note:, is much less processed than granulated sugar and retains a lot of its nutrients. Being organic, damaging pesticides are also eliminated.)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, generously butter or oil a 9 cup Bundt pan.
- In a 2 Quart Batter Bowl (or regular bowl), add the butter and sugar and cream together with a hand or stand mixer for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix until each one is combined.
- Add the vanilla and almond extract and blend.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add about a third of the coconut milk to the butter and sugar mixture. Blend.
- Add about a third of the flour mix and combine. Add some more coconut milk and combine. Add more flour and combine, then the rest of the coconut milk, ending with the rest of the flour and blend.
- Fold in the cup of shredded coconut.
- Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan and spread it around evenly.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a tester inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool cake in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then remove to a plate or rack.
- Once the cake is cooled, dust the top with powdered sugar and serve.
- Serve either plain or with whipped coconut milk/cream or whipped heavy cream.
|Calories360Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.