- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk (or 2%)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups butter (softened)
- 5 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons malt powder
- 15 ounces cherries (jars, in syrup, drained)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 pound dark chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch cake pan. In a bowl, mix the custard powder, 3 tbsp granulated sugar and 1/2 cup milk until smooth. In a saucepan, bring 1 2/3 cups milk to a boil. Add the custard mixture and simmer for 1 min. Transfer to a bowl, place plastic wrap over the surface and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, cream the vanilla extract, 1 cup + 1 tbsp butter and the remaining sugar. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time. Mix the flour and baking powder together and gradually mix in, alternating with 3 tbsp milk, until incorporated. Transfer 1/2 the batter into the prepared pan. Add the cocoa powder, remaining milk and 2 tsp malt powder into the remaining batter. Transfer to the prepared pan and spread over the white batter. Arrange the cherries on top and press in lightly. Bake for 20 mins, until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- In a bowl, cream the powdered sugar and remaining butter. Remove the plastic wrap from the custard and whisk until smooth. Add the powdered sugar mixture then spread over the cake and chill for 4 hours.
- To serve, heat the chocolate, cream and 1 tsp malt powder until melted. Allow to cool for 10 mins. Cut the cake into 20 squares and drizzle with the chocolate.
|Calories450Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.