A generous amount of mushrooms and fresh herbs give this soup richness and freshness. Cream cheese creates a velvety texture without the risk of curdling you'd have from milk. For even more complex flavors, feel free to riff on the basic recipe by substituting your favorite in-season wild mushrooms for some of the regular ones. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Stephanie Spencer.
- 1 onion (medium)
- 2 large carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 lb. cremini mushrooms (or a mix of other varieties of fresh mushrooms)
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (for chicken)
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs (4 thighs per pound)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (for chicken)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper (for chicken)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (for vegetables)
- 1/8 tsp. salt (for vegetables)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper (for vegetables)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (such as Chardonnay)
- 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (for flour)
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth (for soup)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- 1/8 tsp. salt (or to taste, for serving)
- fresh parsley sprigs (for serving, or small fresh rosemary sprigs)
- Cut the onion, carrots, and celery into 1/4-inch dice. Set aside in a medium bowl. Slice the mushrooms, finely chop the thyme and rosemary, and set them aside in another bowl.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Cook until meat is golden on the underside and releases easily from the pan, 4-7 minutes. Flip with tongs and cook until golden on second side, 2-4 minutes (it's OK if the chicken isn't completely cooked through). Transfer to a cutting board, and set aside.
- Add the oil, onion, carrot, celery, salt, and pepper to the Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, 6-9 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories330Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes