Creamy Baked Cod with PotatoesAs receitas lá de casa
You'll find as many versions of cod and potato gratins, a popular Portuguese preparation, as you will home cooks there. This one calls for frying the potatoes rather than boiling them, for deeper flavor. Carrots are sauteed along with the cod. When assembling the gratin, some of the potatoes are layered on their own and the rest mixed with the codfish and bechamel sauce, and there's a layer of wilted spinach and crumbled hard boiled eggs in the middle.
- sliced potatoes (for frying, to taste)
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 2 carrots
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 onions (chopped)
- cilantro sprigs (chopped)
- 800 grams cod (skinless, boneless, soaked and shredded)
- 500 milliliters Béchamel Sauce
- 1In a skillet, fry potatoes in plenty of hot oil.
- 2Remove cooked potatoes from pan and drain on paper towels to absorb excess grease.
- 3Boil the spinach and eggs until eggs are hard-boiled and drain.
- 4Grate carrots.
- 5In a large skillet, heat a little olive oil and sauté garlic, onion, and cilantro until onion is translucent.
- 6Add cod and fry briefly.
- 7Add carrot and cook for 5 minutes.
- 8Spread a small amount of béchamel sauce on the bottom of baking dish.
- 9Arrange half of potatoes in baking dish.
- 10Top potatoes with spinach and crumbled, hard-boiled egg.
- 11Mix remaining béchamel sauce, potatoes and cod.
- 12Pour mixture evenly on top of the spinach and eggs in the baking dish.
- 13Bake in preheated oven until hot and bubbly.