Cream of Sweet Potato Soup with Red Curry and Coconut MilkLa Cocina de Babel
Cold, snowy days call for a warm, creamy soup to warm you up from the inside out. This cream of sweet potato soup should do just that. Seasoned with red curry and ginger, this soup has a little heat that is beautifully tempered by the addition of coconut for a creamy soup with a full and robust taste. Garnish with cilantro and a drizzle of cream or coconut milk for an attractive finish.
- olive oil (drizzle)
- 1 onions (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 kilogram sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 250 grams coconut milk (or heavy cream)
- cilantro (for garnish)
- 1Start by crushing the garlic into a paste using a mortar and pestle.
- 2In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat up a drizzle of olive oil. Fry the onion and garlic in it a few minutes.
- 3Add the ginger and curry paste. Stir then incorporate the sweet potatoes.
- 4Cover everything with stock, bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer 15 minutes until the sweet potato is tender.
- 5Turn off the heat and pour in the coconut milk or cream. Mash everything together until a smooth cream is formed.
- 6Serve garnished with cilantro on top.