The start of the autumn season means cooler weather, changing leaves, and the emergence of pumpkins in all your local grocery stores. For those cooler nights, this cream of pumpkin soup is just the dish to warm you up. Creamy and smooth, this pumpki…
soup features sweet corn and pine nuts for a light crunch. Made with vegetable stock, this soup is vegetarian friendly. Omit or substitute the butter to make this soup vegan.
- 1 pumpkin (approx. 1 kilo.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 1 can sweetcorn (approx. 140 grams)
- vegetable stock (1 lt.)
- 150 grams pine nuts
- ground allspice (Freshly)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- Cut the pumpkin in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Place the halves, face down, in the oven for 45 minutes or until soft and tender.
- Scrape out the flesh with a spoon and discard the shells. Set aside.
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy-based saucepan and add the onion. Cook gently on a low heat until soft.
- Drain the sweetcorn and add to the pan along with the pumpkin. Cook for 2–3 minutes and then pour in the stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 10–15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a frying pan or skillet, without any oil, taking care they do not burn. Set aside.
- Blend the soup until smooth, adding half of the pine nuts.
- Garnish with the remaining pine nuts.