Cream of Pumpkin Soup with Corn and Pine NutsLa Cocina de Babel
The start of the autumn season means cooler weather, changing leaves, and the emergence of pumpkins in all your local grocery stores. For those cooler nights, this cream of pumpkin soup is just the dish to warm you up. Creamy and smooth, this pumpkin soup features sweet corn and pine nuts for a light crunch. Made with vegetable stock, this soup is vegetarian friendly. Omit or substitute the butter to make this soup vegan.
- 1 pumpkin (approx. 1 kilo.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 onions (chopped)
- 1 can sweet corn (approx. 140 grams)
- vegetable stock (1 lt.)
- 150 grams pinenuts
- ground allspice (Freshly)
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- 2Cut the pumpkin in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- 3Place the halves, face down, in the oven for 45 minutes or until soft and tender.
- 4Scrape out the flesh with a spoon and discard the shells. Set aside.
- 5Heat the oil and butter in a heavy-based saucepan and add the onion. Cook gently on a low heat until soft.
- 6Drain the sweetcorn and add to the pan along with the pumpkin. Cook for 2–3 minutes and then pour in the stock.
- 7Bring to the boil and simmer for 10–15 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a frying pan or skillet, without any oil, taking care they do not burn. Set aside.
- 9Blend the soup until smooth, adding half of the pine nuts.
- 10Garnish with the remaining pine nuts.