Shredded coconut lends tropical flavor to these flourless treats that are sweetened with honey (and sugar) and have the tangy taste from lemon zest and juice. Cottage cheese and egg yolks form the base, which is lightened by having beaten eggs white folded in. Be sure to use a J motion when folding in the whites to keep them from deflating, going down and then back up and rotating the bowl as you go, until they are completely incorporated.
- 5 eggs (separated)
- 170 grams cottage cheese
- 140 grams sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 100 grams grated coconut
- powdered sugar (to taste)
- honey (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (approximately 350ºF).
- Grease a pie pan or a small rectangular pan with margarine.
- Set aside.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Whisk the egg whites and a pinch of fine salt to stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Add the cottage cheese to egg yolks, and beat well with an electric mixer.
- Add sugar, honey, lemon zest, juice and grated coconut.
- Beat well until thoroughly combined.
- Gradually add the egg whites to the cheese mixture and gently fold until combined. Do not beat.
- Place the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Cut into strips or squares.
- Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar and a drizzle of honey.