Make your own cream cheese to use as a basis for a sweet or savory dip or spread with this recipe for homemade Cream Cheese. Requiring just three simple ingredients, plain yogurt, pasteurized milk, and rennet, this recipe provides step by step instructions that will walk you through the process of making your own cream cheese. Make the day before you plan on using it as it will need to be refrigerated for at least 12 hours.
- 2 liters pasteurized milk
- rennet (the package will tell you how much to use per quantity of milk)
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (unsweetened)
- Pour the milk into a pot and heat it to 45 degrees Celsius using a cooking thermometer.
- Add in the rennet and yogurt. Whisk everything together.
- In winter, wrap the pot in a towel and let sit 1 hour. In summer, just place the pot in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Pour the pot’s contents into a colander lined with cheesecloth or an old dish towel. Make sure there is another container under the colander to collect the whey that will drain out. Let drain for 12 hours refrigerated.
- Remove from the refrigerator and beat with a fork to mix well. If it appears too dry, add some of the reserved whey.
- To make the cream cheese savory, add garlic, peppers, herbs, etc. To make it sweet, add jam, honey, etc.