- 3 cups cranberry juice
- 1/2 tablespoon gelatin powder
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- cranberry (Trifle)
- 16 ladyfinger cookies (cut in half)
- 12 cherries (stems attached)
- 1 3/4 ounces white chocolate (melted)
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (plus extra for dusting, optional)
- Place juice and 1/2 cup water in a bowl. Place 1/3 cup boiling water in a heatproof bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over water and whisk with a fork until dissolved.
- Stir gelatin mixture into juice mixture. Pour juice mixture into a 12-cup serving bowl or trifle bowl. Refrigerate for 3 hrs, until set.
- Meanwhile, make custard: Heat half and half and milk in a medium heavy-based saucepan on low. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla in a large heatproof bowl until pale and creamy. Gradually whisk in the hot milk mixture until combined.
- Strain into a clean heavy-based saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 8-10 mins, until custard coats back of spoon. Remove from heat and transfer to a heatproof bowl. Cover surface with parchment paper and chill for 2 hrs, until thick and cold.
- To make the trifle: Arrange 16 lady finger halves on the cranberry gelatin, cut-side down, around edge of bowl. Coarsely chop remaining ladyfingers and place in center. Pour custard over chopped cookies. Smooth surface and refrigerate for 1 hr.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dip cherries into melted chocolate. Place upright on prepared tray. Leave for 15 mins, until set.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream and powdered sugar in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Spoon whipped cream over custard in serving bowl. To serve, top with cherries and dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
PER SERVING *
|Calories520Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.