Tart cranberries, zesty citrus, crunchy walnuts, and a touch of spice — you'll be making this bread all throughout the holiday season!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (115g per 1/2 cup, softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100g per 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (50g per 1/4 cup, packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream (120g per 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 Orange (large)
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (heaping, 180g per 1 cup, roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, use a mixer to cream together the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract on medium-high speed for 1-2 minutes or until smooth and combined. Add the eggs and beat for a minute longer until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Add the sour cream, orange juice and orange zest. Continue to beat on medium-high speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed, until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt to the bowl. Beat the mixture on medium-low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Fold in the cranberries and walnuts. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake the bread for 55-65 minutes on the middle rack, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Pro tip: Using an older oven? Rotate the pan halfway through cooking time to ensure a more even heat distribution.
- Check to see that bread is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow the bread to rest in the pan for 10 minutes, then release the bread from the pan onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.