This Couscous, Broccoli, and Asparagus Salad can be served warm or cold making it a wonderful side dish for any occasion. Lightly sauteed in garlic butter, the asparagus and broccoli are the simmered in white wine to which is added cooked couscous and tossed together. Ready in less than half an hour, this makes a great cold salad for lunch throughout the week. This recipe calls for purple broccoli, however broccolini or green broccoli can be substituted. Quinoa can be substituted for the couscous.
- 4 servings
- 1 bunch broccoli (purple)
- 5 stalks asparagus (fresh green)
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 150 grams couscous
- ground black pepper
- ground pepper
- fennel (fresh)
- Wash broccoli, and cut off the stalks.
- Cut off the hardest part of the asparagus, wash, and cut into small pieces.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan, add garlic cloves, and sear for a few seconds. Add the broccoli, if you feel that is too dry, add another drizzle of olive oil.
- Saute about 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the asparagus, and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add the wine, and let it evaporate.
- If you like the broccoli more cooked, put the lid on the pan, and let it cook for a little longer.
- Pour the couscous in a bowl, season with salt, a drizzle of olive oil, and add water until the couscous is covered (don't add more). Place for 1 minute in the microwave at full power, remove, and stir with a fork. If you feel that the couscous is still undercooked, cook for a few more seconds in the microwave until the water evaporates completely.
- Add the couscous to the broccoli, and check the seasonings.
- Garnish with some fennel leaves, and another drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve immediately.
PER SERVING *
|Calories270Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.