You do not have to spend a ton of money to have a five star dinner. Try this recipe for Arab Couscous. This rich and flavorful appetizer combines a hearty meal on a budget. Be sure to plan ahead, because these decadent hand held treats need to be refrigerated for at least an hour before serving. We hope you and your loved ones enjoy this dish as much as we do.
- 500 grams couscous (medium)
- 200 grams chickpeas (cooked)
- 7 chicken drumsticks
- 1 piece beef (about 300 g)
- 2 zucchini (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 1 turnips (chopped)
- 1 piece pumpkin
- 1 eggplant (chopped)
- 1 onions (diced)
- raw almonds
- pinenuts (Some)
- raisins (Some)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- ras el hanout (North African spice blend of cumin, turmeric, paprika, ginger, and pepper)
- virgin olive oil
- 1Heat a little olive oil in a pan and cook chicken and beef with onion until done.
- 2Add carrots and turnip to pan.
- 3When carrots and turnip are done, add zucchini and eggplant.
- 4Season with Ras El Hanout to taste.
- 5Cook for about 20 minutes.
- 6Season with salt and add cooked chickpeas.
- 7For the couscous, heat broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 8Place couscous in a bowl and pour hot broth over it (the same volume as couscous).
- 9Cover the bowl and let stand for about 3 minutes.
- 10Fluff with a fork to loosen couscous.
- 11Heat olive oil in a small frying pan and briefly sauté green onions, then add almonds, raisins and pine nuts.
- 12Season with Ras El Hanout and continue frying for 3 minutes.
- 13To serve, put the couscous in a bowl and cover with vegetables.
- 14Serve chicken, beef, chickpeas, and nuts on the side.
- 15Depending on spice level, add chile pepper, if desired.