You do not have to spend a ton of money to have a five star dinner. Try this recipe for Arab Couscous. This rich and flavorful appetizer combines a hearty meal on a budget. Be sure to plan ahead, because these decadent hand held treats need to be refrigerated for at least an hour before serving. We hope you and your loved ones enjoy this dish as much as we do.
- 500 grams couscous (medium)
- 200 grams chickpeas (cooked)
- 7 chicken drumsticks
- 1 piece beef (about 300 g)
- 2 zucchini (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 1 turnip (chopped)
- 1 piece pumpkin
- 1 eggplant (chopped)
- 1 onion (diced)
- raw almonds
- pine nuts (Some)
- raisins (Some)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- ras el hanout (North African spice blend of cumin, turmeric, paprika, ginger, and pepper)
- virgin olive oil
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan and cook chicken and beef with onion until done.
- Add carrots and turnip to pan.
- When carrots and turnip are done, add zucchini and eggplant.
- Season with Ras El Hanout to taste.
- Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and add cooked chickpeas.
- For the couscous, heat broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Place couscous in a bowl and pour hot broth over it (the same volume as couscous).
- Cover the bowl and let stand for about 3 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork to loosen couscous.
- Heat olive oil in a small frying pan and briefly sauté green onions, then add almonds, raisins and pine nuts.
- Season with Ras El Hanout and continue frying for 3 minutes.
- To serve, put the couscous in a bowl and cover with vegetables.
- Serve chicken, beef, chickpeas, and nuts on the side.
- Depending on spice level, add chile pepper, if desired.