These muffins bake up a mile high! They’re loaded with spiralized carrots and whole- wheat flour. They contain a moderate amount of sugar, so the drizzle of buttermilk glaze adds a little touch sweetness.
- 2 large carrots (1½”-‐ 2” diameter, peeled)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 1/3 cup oil (safflower, canola)
- 1 1/3 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange oven rack to center. Spray 12-‐cup regular sized muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or line with cupcake liners.
- Trim ends off carrots and cut to fit spiralizer attachment. Use fine spiralizing blade to cut carrots into spirals. Use kitchen shears or a knife to cut spirals in half so you have half-‐circles of carrot. Measure out 1½ cups carrot.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: all-‐purpose flour, whole-‐wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Using stand mixer (wire whip/high speed) whip egg whites until stiff peaks form about 1 minute. Remove whipped egg whites to a separate bowl. Add egg yolks to mixer bowl along with oil, buttermilk, sugar and vanilla. Switch from wire whip to flag beater. Mix on medium speed until combined. Gradually add dry mixture to wet mixture while mixing on low speed until just combined. Mix in carrots using
- low speed. Fold in half of the whipped egg whites on lowest speed. Fold in the other half by hand.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on cooling rack for about 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and cool about 5 minutes more. Drizzle with glaze while slightly warm.
- To make buttermilk glaze: In stand mixer bowl using flat beater, mix sugar, vanilla and buttermilk on low speed for a minute or until well combined. Scrape down bowl and finish by beating on medium-‐high for 30-‐seconds.