Cuts from the loin do not need to be stewed as long as the less-tender shoulder cuts, so this soup is ready in 30-45 minutes. Enough time to get everyone settled and ready for supper. Serve with cornbread and apple salad.
- 1/2 pound boneless pork loin (or two boneless pork chops cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup carrots (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup potatoes (sliced)
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- black pepper (to taste)
- 4 cups water
- 28 ounces tomatoes (crushed)
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves (crushed)
- 1 dash red pepper sauce
- Heat oil in Dutch oven and brown pork, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover and cook gently for 30-45 minutes.