They're round and sweet like cookies, and they're made with whole wheat flour and fruit. The peach compote on top is Chef Carla's jam, and it makes the dish look like a work of tart. Sponsored by LACTAID®. LACTAID is 100% real milk, just without the lactose — allowing all members of the family to enjoy the delicious taste of real milk, even if they’re lactose intolerant.
- 2 cups frozen peaches (defrosted)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil (for pancake batter)
- 1 cup LACTAID® Fat Free Milk
- 1 Orange (or enough for 1/4 cup freshly squeezed juice and 1 tsp. zest)
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil (for cooking pancakes)
- An introduction to Cornmeal Pancakes with Peach Compote with Carla Hall, Cookie Monster, and Chef Gonger (Click on this step or "Make It Now" to view introduction.)
- Dice the defrosted peach slices into 1/2-inch pieces. With your cutting board slightly overhanging the counter surface, slide the diced peaches from the cutting board into a bowl. Combine peaches, the water, and vanilla extract in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and allow to cook for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally and slightly mash the diced peaches with a wooden spoon to help create a more spreadable compote. Add more water if the mixture looks dry, or allow to cook for slightly longer if mixture is too watery. When the mixture has thickened to a jam-like consistency, it is done. Remove from heat, set aside, and allow to cool.
- Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, and baking powder in a large bowl. Crack the eggs into a separate bowl, then add the canola oil and fat-free milk. Zest the orange into the bowl, being careful not to include the bitter white pith. Using a citrus reamer, halve and juice the orange over the bowl with the cut sides facing up so the seeds don't fall into the bowl. Whisk the liquid ingredients together. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, whisking until just combined and smooth. Overmixing will result in flat pancakes. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Set a nonstick skillet or griddle on the stove over medium heat or 350°F and brush with 1 tsp. canola oil. Keep a paper towel handy to spread the oil and remove any excess. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the heated skillet or griddle for each pancake and cook until the edges of the pancake are dry and the top is filled with bubbles that do not close once they pop, about 2 minutes. Flip each pancake with a spatula and cook the other side until golden, about 1 minute. Remove pancakes to a plate. Repeat with remaining batter, brushing the skillet or griddle with additional canola oil as necessary.
- If desired, cut pancakes into bite-size wedges. Serve pancakes immediately with the warmed peach compote.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories480Calories from Fat130
|% DAILY VALUE
|Calories from Fat130
|% DAILY VALUE
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes