- 3 1/3 pounds corned beef (piece)
- 2 yellow onions (small, thinly sliced)
- 1 medium carrot (chopped)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pound potatoes (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 pound cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- green beans (Steamed, to serve)
- Place corned beef, onion, carrot, vinegar, cloves and sugar in large, heavy-based saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover partially. Simmer for 1 hour 30 mins; skim surface occasionally with a large spoon to remove fat.
- Meanwhile, place potato and cauliflower in a steamer basket over simmering water. Steam for 10-12 mins, or until tender, then drain. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Add butter and cream; mash until almost smooth. Season to taste.
- To make sauce, place cornstarch in a small saucepan and gradually whisk in milk. Cook and stir over moderate heat until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat; stir in mustard and parsley. Season to taste.
- Let corned beef rest for 10 mins before slicing thinly. Spoon mashed potatoes and cauliflower onto serving plates. Top with slices of corned beef and drizzle with sauce. Serve with beans.
|Calories730Calories from Fat430|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat430|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.