- 4 pounds beef brisket (corned)
- onions (2 med., sliced)
- 3 whole cloves
- carrot (1 lg., scraped and sliced)
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- new potatoes (2 lbs. sm., peeled)
- 2 pounds cabbage (cut into wedges)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar (good quality)
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon grated horseradish (freshly)
- 2 egg yolks (beaten)
- Combine corned beef and water to cover in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil then remove from heat. Drain. Add fresh water to cover. Add onion, carrot, parsley, bay leaf, and pepper. Bring to a boil once again, then reduce to a low simmer. Skim off foam, if necessary. Cover and simmer 4 hours or until tender.
- Remove onion and parsley. Add potatoes to Dutch oven. Simmer 10 minutes. Add cabbage wedges, and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- To make the Irish Mustard Sauce, combine cornstarch, sugar, dry mustard and salt in a medium saucepan; stir well. Add water and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar, butter and horseradish. Gradually stir about 1/4 of hot mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Transfer corned beef and vegetables to a serving platter. Serve with Irish Mustard Sauce. Yield: 6-8 servings.
|Calories500Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.