- 1 box corn muffin mix (We love Jiffy)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup creamed corn
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 pound jalapeños (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green chilis (diced)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1/3 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare cornbread base by combining corn muffin mix, sour cream, creamed corn, and one egg. Pour into large cast iron skillet (we used an 11-inch skillet).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool in pan. In the meantime, prep enchilada base.
- In a separate skillet, sauté onions over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. When translucent, add garlic. Cook until fragrant.
- Add ground beef, stirring to break up the meat, and add: cumin, chili powder, salt, and cayenne.
- Add the jalapeños and the green chilis. Cook for a few minutes until soft. Add 1/2 cup each of the cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses.
- Remove skillet from stovetop to drain excess fat.
- Poke surface of cornbread base with the handle of a wooden spoon. Pour enchilada sauce over the cornbread, making sure to cover the entire surface.
- Spread meat mixture over cornbread base. Top with leftover 1/2 cups of the cheeses. Bake for about 20 minutes. To brown the cheese for a crisper crust, broil for five minutes.
- Top with chopped cilantro. Serve immediately, while warm!
PER SERVING *
|Calories610Calories from Fat390|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat390|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.