Cornmeal replaces half the wheat flour in this recipe, which also calls for a cup of crushed corn flake cereal. What results are savory muffins that have a coarser crumb and a bit of crunchy texture, plus delectable flavor from grated lemon zest, ground nutmeg, parmesan cheese. This recipe also teaches you how to make buttermilk using regular milk and lemon juice, something you can do whenever you don't have any on hand.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (fine)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled)
- 1 large eggs
- 1 egg yolks
- 1 cup corn flakes
- Grease cupcake pan with butter and line with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Make the buttermilk by mixing 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Let stand for a least 10 to 15 minutes before using.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, lemon zest, nutmeg and Parmesan cheese,
- In another bowl, mix 1 egg and 1 egg yolk with the oil, butter, and buttermilk
- Combine the 2 mixtures without beating too much. The dough doesn't get completely smooth. Add the slightly crushed corn flakes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan, bake for about 20 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Serve warm or the same day. The muffins can be frozen when cooled down. To serve after freezing, toast and butter them.