- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 strip bacon (or 1 teaspoon of bacon fat, substitute 1/2 Tbsp of butter for vegetarian option)
- 1/2 yellow onion (large, chopped, about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 carrot (large, chopped, about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 celery stalk (chopped, about 1/3 cup)
- 3 ears sweet corn kernels (removed from the cobs, about 2 cups, cobs reserved, see steps for taking corn off the cob)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 1/2 cups milk (whole or low fat)
- 1 yukon gold potato (medium, or Russet, peeled and diced)
- 1/4 red bell pepper (chopped, about 1/4 cup)
- ground pepper
- kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
PER SERVING *
|Calories250Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
L 10 days ago
Very good. I used olive oil to sauté the vegetables in lieu of bacon fat to make it lighter. I also added red pepper flakes to add a little heat/spice. I also added grilled chicken to add more protein to make it a full dinner soup.
Rebecca W. 4 Aug
Really tasty, a little labor intensive but worth it. May add a little more red pepper and carrot next time for color.
Vicky Miller 17 Jun
Really good!!! I used a green bell pepper instead :) but it still tasted amazing!!! I’ll def. make this again.
Luisa Marquez 29 Jan
Very easy and tasty definitely hit the spot
Anna Penny 18 Oct 2017
So good. I used 3 pieces of bacon instead of one and added some crushed red pepper for a little heat. Didn't change anything other than that and it's spectacular!!! Make sure to follow directions exactly to keep milk from scalding.
Lesa 15 Oct 2017
Yummly, made exact to recipe
Hi, Grace 11 Oct 2017
It was good but not the right consistency. It tasted pretty good
Saudia H. 20 Jun 2017
This is a really delicious recipe, even toddler friendly. I made add a few adjustments to our taste liking: I used turkey bacon, added 3/4 vegetable broth and 1 can coconut milk instead of milk. I also added two cloves of garlic. Also, I added a pinch of cumin for smokiness and 1 tsp of turmeric. Lastly, a bit of cayenne for heat. When it was done, I used an emersion blender to purée about 2 cups and then added it back to the soup.