This recipe is my go to appetizer each year on Christmas Eve. This is my interpretation of this dish filled with shrimp and scallops, smothered in a béchamel sauce, surrounded by a ring of mashed potatoes and topped with shredded cheese. It's guaran…
eed to impress your guests!
- 1 pound potatoes (about 3 peeled)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (small, chopped)
- 1/2 red pepper (chopped)
- 340 grams shrimp (medium sized, peeled and deveined)
- 340 grams scallops (small)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a small sauce pan, place potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil, add salt then lower to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, rinse the shrimp and scallops. Drain well and pat dry. In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onions and red pepper and sauté until softened.
- Add shrimp, scallops and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Pour in white wine and cook until it has evaporated. At this point, drain the seafood if there is a lot of liquid in the pan. Place seafood in a bowl.
- In a small sauce pan prepare the béchamel sauce by melting the butter on medium heat. Add the flour and stir until a paste is formed. Add the milk and using a whisk, stir until mixture has thickened. Pour the sauce over the seafood and stir to combine. Divide the seafood amongst the 4 scallop shells.
- Preheat oven at 350°F. When the potatoes have cooked, mash them as desired with milk, butter and salt. Place the potatoes in a pastry bag or in a freezer bag with the bottom tip removed. Pipe the potatoes around the seafood filling. Divide the grated cheese over the filling of the 4 scallop dishes.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the cheese is bubbling. Serve immediately.
|Calories430Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.