A pastilla is a traditional Andalusian Moroccan dish, featuring a flaky crust surrounding a savory meat filling. This pastilla recipe features confit duck. Shredded duck meat is cooked alongside dried apricots and spices including cumin, cinnamon, and coriander. Fresh lemon juice and pine nuts are added to the mixture before being layered between layers of flaky phyllo dough. Rosettes made from the leftover phyllo dough add an elegant touch to this tasty meat pie before baking. Sprinkle with cinnamon before serving for additional color and flavor.
- 5 confit duck legs
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 140 grams dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 200 milliliters chicken stock
- 1 lemon (+ 1 tbsp. lemon juice)
- 50 grams pine nuts (+ extra for garnish.)
- phyllo pastry (sheets)
- cinnamon sugar (for dusting)
- olive oil (for brushing)
- ground black pepper
- Place the duck legs in a microwaveable dish and heat gently until the fat melts and the meat can be removed from the bone easily.
- Shred the duck meat, discard the skin and bones, and set aside.
- Toast the pine nuts in a skillet or griddle, without fat, for 2–3 minutes, and set aside.
- In a large, heavy frying pan, heat a little oil and gently fry the onions on a low heat until soft. Add the apricots and spices and continue to fry for 5 minutes more.
- Add the duck and stock, and continue to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon peel, juice and pine nuts.
- Season with black pepper and a little salt.
- Grease a baking pan, 20 cm diameter, with a little olive oil.
- Place the phyllo pastry sheets on a damp tea towel and cover them with another damp towel to avoid drying out during the preparation process.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Brush a sheet of pastry with oil and line the base of the pan, allowing about half the sheet to cover the sides and overlap.
- Repeat this operation with 5 or 6 more pastry sheets, ensuring they overlap and leave no gaps.
- Spread the duck filling over the pastry sheets and cover with 3 more sheets. Brush with olive oil.
- Fold over the remaining pastry sheets into the centre to form a cover, and brush with oil.
- To decorate the pastilla, brush 4 or 5 pastry sheets with oil, and cut into quarters.
- Pinch the pastry into rosettes and arrange on the top of the pastilla.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until golden.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, icing sugar, and pine nuts.
PER SERVING *
|Calories370Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.