- 1 pound lean ground beef (use beef with less than 10% fat for South Beach Diet)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (or less if you're not that crazy about garlic)
- 6 cups homemade beef stock (or use 3 cans beef broth and a little water to make 6 cups)
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or 2 cans vegetable broth and a little water to make 4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chopped celery (finely)
- 1 cup carrots (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (add 1 T, then taste to see if you want to use more)
- ground black pepper
PER SERVING *
|Calories300Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Keli K. 2 Mar
We love this recipe, so light and comforting when nothing else sounds good
Tracy G. 25 Jan
My family LOVED LOVED LOVED this soup! It was simple,easy to make and very tasty! There were no leftovers! Can’t wait to make it again!
Cerveza 23 Dec 2017
Easy to put together. Will add bay leaves next time.
Wally 4 Apr 2017
This turned out terrific! Not usually a ground meat eater but had a pound of ground sirloin and didn't want spaghetti tonight. I made "my version' of this with few modifications (I added half of a red pepper and a bit more celery and carrots than recipe called for didn't have the beef stock so I used "Better Then Bullion" and vegetable bullion cubes) turned out terrific! Will probably do some variation of this again! Thanks for a great idea!