MacIntosh, Gala and Granny Smith apples are good cooking apples and will hold their shape after baking. Serve with roasted potatoes.
- 3 pounds country-style pork ribs
- 6 cups red cabbage (finely sliced, about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 onions (medium, sliced)
- 1 apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cabbage, onion and apple in the bottom of a 4-quart casserole or Dutch oven. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add pork ribs and cook until browned, about 6 to 8 minutes, turning to brown each side. Remove pork and place over cabbage. Pour off fat.
- Combine vinegar and brown sugar in a small bowl. Add to pan, stirring to remove browned bits from bottom of pan. Pour over ribs and cabbage.
- Cover and bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees F., pork is tender and cabbage is cooked.