Try our Colomba Easter Cake with Brewer’s Yeast recipe! This cake is a bit more difficult to cook that your average cake but it is a baker's delight! If you love to bake a great cake, try this recipe. This is a perfect festive dessert meal for the Easter Holiday and perfect to serve for a larger party. Try out our Colomba Easter Cake with Brewer’s Yeast recipe now. Let us know what you think!
- 25 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 100 grams water
- 70 grams strong flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 10 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- 50 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 220 grams strong flour
- 5 tablespoons water
- 145 grams sugar
- 115 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 250 grams strong flour
- 5 grams salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 orange
- vanilla beans (optional)
- 150 grams candied orange peel (finely chopped or ground)
- 75 grams almonds (peeled)
- 130 grams sugar
- 50 grams egg whites
- 40 grams almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar (grains)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- To prepare the yeast starter:
- Dissolve the yeast in the water, add half of the flour and combine, add the sugar, egg yolks, and the remaining flour.
- Mix well and cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
- First kneading procedure:
- Dissolve the yeast in the water and pour it into a bowl with the starter, mix well, then add the butter and the flour and combine well.
- Cover the dough in the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest in the bowl for 1 to 2 hours.
- Second kneading procedure:
- Add the sugar, the egg yolks, and the honey to the first dough and knead, then add the orange peel, butter, and vanilla beans.
- Add half of the flour and knead, next add the remaining flour and the salt.
- Once all the ingredients have been combined well, place the dough onto a work surface and knead it for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Return the dough to a greased bowl, cover and let it rest for 2 to 3 hours.
- Place the dough on the work surface again, add the candied orange peel. (If you do not like the consistency of the candied orange, you may grind them with a food processor and then add them to the dough, while the cake cooks they will dissolve, releasing flavor.) If using chopped candied orange peel, punch down the dough, sprinkle it with the candied orange peel and roll up the dough. Roll it out again and then roll it up until incorporated.
- Place the dough in the pan which has been greased and floured, cover and let the dough rise for approximately 2 hours.
- Completing the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Chop the almonds with the sugar.
- In a bowl, add the egg whites to the almonds and sugar and beat together until it’s the consistency of icing.
- Cover the surface of the cake with the icing, then sprinkle the cake with the rest of the almonds, the sugar grains, and the powdered sugar.
- Bake at 190C for 10 minutes, then lower the temperature to 175C and bake for approximately 40 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1580Calories from Fat520|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat520|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.