Whole-grain salads are nourishing options for lunch--and they can be made up to a day ahead. They're also portable and perfect for packing in a school lunchbox or taking to the office. This one starts with cracked wheat or bulgur wheat, which is boi…
ed until tender before tossing with olives, capers, anchovy, tomatoes, celery, basil, and mozzarella cheese and a simple dressing of fresh lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil.
- 300 grams wheat (hulled)
- black olives (Small, Gaeta variety, or similar)
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 mozzarella cheese (ball)
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Cook the hulled wheat for approximately 45 minutes in a stockpot with 2 liters of water.
- When the hulled wheat is done, drain it, rinse it well under running water, and let it cool in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, prepare the dressing with the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.
- Chop a handful of capers and the anchovy fillets coarsely, cut the tomatoes into quarters, cut the mozzarella into small pieces, and slice the celery thinly.
- Place all these ingredients in the bowl with the hulled wheat and add a handful of black olives.
- Season the salad with the dressing; add a few leaves of basil.
- Refrigerate the salad for a few hours then serve.
|Calories670Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.