- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic (heaping, about 4 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (chopped)
- 3 thai chiles
- 2 serrano chile
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 cups minced onion (about 2 small)
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups roma tomatoes (minced, canned)
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 8 ounces bottles clam juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (or more)
- 2 teaspoons lime (or lemon juice)
- 1 1/2 pounds crabmeat
- 1/2 cup condiments (each of 2 or more of these classic, : shredded unsweetened coconut, chopped)
- Combine garlic, ginger, chile and 2 tablespoons of water in a blender and puree.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a 14-inch sauté pan or Dutch oven. When hot, add cinnamon bay leaf --sauté for 5 seconds. Add the onion and sauté until golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the ginger mixture and sauté until aromatic and the water has evaporated. This is where you really develop the flavor.
- Add the curry powder plus 1 to 2 additional tablespoons of water and stir into the onions. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes longer until aromatic. Add the tomatoes, cilantro, remaining water, coconut milk, chicken stock, clam juice and salt. Lower heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice and taste for additional salt.
- When cool, puree mixture in batches until very smooth. Chill. This can be prepared the day before and refrigerated.
- To Serve: Put in individual bowls and top each bowl with a sprinkling of 3 ounces of crab (about 1/2 cup). Offer the condiments on the side.
|Calories900Calories from Fat490|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat490|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.