Serving espresso with a lemon slice is traditional in Italy, so it's not too much of a stretch to imagine how this drink, which builds on that idea, will be utterly delicious. While you brew the espresso, in a pot, combine brown sugar (light or dark, according to your taste) with a lemon that's been cut into pieces. Then pour in the espresso, water, and rum (if desired), and serve over crushed ice.
- 200 milliliters espresso coffee
- 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 cubes crushed ice
- 600 milliliters water
- rum (to taste)
- Cut the lemon into thin slices. In a pitcher, add the sugar, the lemon, and the crushed ice cubes.
- Add the coffee and water.
- Add rum to taste. Serve over ice.