Give yourself a reason to invite a couple friends over for coffee or tea with these delicious Coffee and Hazelnut Shortbread cookies. Made with toasted hazelnuts, these coffee and vanilla flavored shortbread cookies have a lovely crunch in each bite. Refrigerate the dough before shaping and baking. Add a melted chocolate garnish for the finishing touch. You can pipe stripes of chocolate or melt chocolate and dunk the shortbread into the chocolate, it is up to you!
- 90 grams hazelnuts
- 240 grams butter (softened)
- 100 grams powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 vanilla bean
- 240 grams flour
- 10 ounces chocolate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 120 degrees Celsius.
- Place the hazelnuts on a baking tray and toast them until golden. Once cooled, pulse in a food processor until finely ground.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until mixed.
- Add the ground hazelnuts, salt, coffee, and seeds scraped from the vanilla bean to the bowl. Mix well.
- Add in the sifted flour and mix until the mixture starts to pull away from the walls of the bowl.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190 C. (or 170 C. if using a convection oven).
- Set the dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll it out, but not too thin.
- Using a cookie cutter or glass, cut out the cookies and transfer them onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Leave room between the cookies, as they will expand while baking.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes then transfer the whole paper to a baking rack to cool.
- When the cookies are cool, you can optionally glaze them with some chocolate. Just put the chocolate chunks in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 1-minute increments until melted.
- Transfer the chocolate into a plastic bag and barely cut off the tip. Squeeze the chocolate back and forth across the cookies.