Coffee and Chocolate Cake with Coffee Creme AnglaiseL'Antro dell'Alchimista
This coffee cake is like no other: First, it's baked in a loaf pan for easy unmolding and slicing; second it is made with three different types of flour--all-purpose, almond flour, and corn flour--for a more interesting taste and texture; third, it's run through with finely chopped toasted hazelnuts and chocolate chips; and finally, it has freshly brewed espresso baked right into the batter. It's great on its own or with the coffee creme anglaise in this recipe.
- 150 grams butter (softened)
- 150 grams sugar
- 150 grams flour
- 100 grams hazelnuts (toasted and chopped finely)
- 60 grams dark chocolate chips
- 50 grams corn flour (fine variety)
- 50 grams almond flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup espresso (strong, sweetened)
- 300 grams milk
- 120 grams sugar
- 100 milliliters heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1Preheat the oven to 180C.
- 2Beat the butter with the sugar until foamy.
- 3Add the eggs, coffee, the three types of flour, hazelnuts, and chocolate chips.
- 4Pour the batter in a loaf pan, previously buttered and floured with cornflour.
- 5Bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 6Remove the cake from the oven and serve it warm with the coffee cream.
- 7Heat the milk with the heavy cream in a medium saucepan.
- 8Combine the egg yolks with the sugar; add to the warm milk and heavy cream mixture gradually, stirring constantly. Next, add the instant coffee.
- 9Cook the cream on very low heat for approximately 10 minutes until it thickens.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1360Calories from Fat770|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat770|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.