Coffee ProfiterolesL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Profiteroles are made with a classic dough called pate a choux that's cooked in a saucepan on the stovetop and then removed from the heat before the eggs are mixed in. It's easy enough to master and the dough itself is wonderful to work with and bakes up airy and light. Here the puffs are filled with a coffee custard that's spiked with brandy and then drizzled with a coffee icing.
- 250 milliliters milk
- 250 milliliters coffee (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon brandy
- vanilla pods
- 4 egg yolks
- 80 grams sugar
- 40 grams flour
- 200 grams powdered sugar
- 1 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 350 milliliters water
- 100 grams butter (in pieces)
- 200 grams flour
- 4 eggs
- 1Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- 2For the custard, bring the milk, coffee, brandy, and vanilla pod to a boil in a large pot.
- 3In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar and flour.
- 4Gradually add the egg mixture to the milk and coffee mixture and cook on a low heat, stirring continuously until thickened. Set aside to cool.
- 5For the icing, dissolve the coffee in the hot water.
- 6Whisk the sugar with the egg white and coffee until soft.
- 7For the pastry, add the water, butter, and a pinch of salt to a boil in another pot..
- 8Add the flour and cook, stirring continuously, until the dough leaves the sides of the pan and forms a ball.
- 9Transfer to a stand mixer bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, and beat using the hook attachment. The mixture should appear light and fluffy; if not, add another egg.
- 10Place the mixture into a pastry bag with a long, smooth nozzle.
- 11On a lined baking sheet, squeeze out small tufts of dough.
- 12Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 13Remove from the oven and transfer the profiteroles to a cooling rack.
- 14Make a hole at the bottom of each profiterole and fill with cream custard.
- 15Dip the top of each profiterole in the coffee icing.
- 16Allow to drip-dry and sprinkle with cocoa powder or powdered sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories850Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.