- 1/2 cup butter (chopped, at room temperature)
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar (not packed)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour (sifted)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup strong black coffee (cooled)
- icing (Coffee)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons strong black coffee
- 12 pecans (to decorate)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with large paper cupcake cases.
- In a large bowl, using an electric beater, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour alternately with sour cream and coffee, beginning and ending with flour. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20–25 mins until risen golden and firm to the touch. Cool in the tray for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, combine the powdered sugar and butter in a small heatproof bowl. Stir in enough hot coffee to make a smooth paste. Place over a saucepan of simmering water and heat gently, stirring, for 2–3 mins until mixture is a spreadable consistency. Spread over cooled cakes. Top with pecans.