- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano (dried)
- 1 cinnamon (2-piece Mexican, Ceylon* or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
- 1 tablespoon coffee (freshly gound)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (divided)
- 3 pounds pork loin roast
- 10 ounces frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup water
- Place the cumin and coriander seeds in a small skillet, set over medium heat; toast the spices until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Place the cumin, coriander, salt, peppercorns, chile powder, oregano, and cinnamon in a spice grinder (or use a mortar and pestle); grind to a fine powder. Combine the ground spices with the coffee. Rub one tablespoon of the oil all over the surface of pork loin. Rub the spice mixture over the surface of the pork, making sure to coat all sides. Place the pork in a zip-top bag or non-reactive container, and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours.
- In the meantime, make the cranberry relish: In a medium pan set over medium-high heat, combine the cranberries, sugar, zest, juice, rum, and water; heat, while stirring for 2 minutes. Cover, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and bring to room temperature (the relish will thicken as it cools). Transfer to a bowl; cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 4 days.
- When ready to cook the pork: Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Heat the remaining oil in a large, ovenproof skillet set over medium-high heat (if you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside). Remove the pork from the bag and place it on the hot pan. Sear the pork on all sides until browned, about 4-5 minutes total. Place the skillet in the oven (or transfer the pork to the prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven); cook until the internal temperature reads 150 degree F, about 45 minutes.
- Allow the pork to rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving with the cranberry sauce.