Olive oil is a traditional choice for baking sweets in Spain, Portugal, Italy, and other countries, and you'll see why if you get a taste of this interesting cake, which also includes brewed coffee (the stronger the better), ground cinnamon, and fennel seeds, with brown sugar as the sweetener. Use a good quality olive oil in this and other baking recipes, and choose one that matches your preference for fruity or not so much.
- 3 eggs
- 250 grams brown sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- cinnamon (to taste)
- fennel (to taste)
- 250 grams wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Grease and sprinkle a round cake pan with high sides.
- Beat eggs with sugar. Stirring constantly, add olive oil, coffee, baking soda and spices.
- Add the flour and mix well. Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes.