A variation of a traditional Portuguese favorite, this codfish casserole embraces the fresh flavors onion, garlic, and parsley. Potatoes add an additional flavor element to this delicious casserole. Topped with a bread crumble topping and toasted to perfection, this recipe is a keeper.
- 1/2 bread (Broa)
- 1 onion (large, or 2 medium, minced)
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 500 grams codfish (skinless, and deboned)
- 5 potatoes (medium sized)
- 3 eggs
- 3 parsley sprigs
- olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- olives (to taste)
- Crumble the bread in a bowl, add 2 garlic cloves and parsley, mix well. Set aside.
- Cook the eggs and the peeled and sliced potatoes in a pot of salted water.
- Heat a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil, add the onion, and 2 garlic cloves, and cook until browned. Place the cooked onion and garlic on the bottom of baking pan. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, brown 2 more garlic cloves in a drizzle of olive oil, and add the well drained codfish. Let it cook until it begins to dry.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- When the potatoes are cooked, remove them from heat, and drain. Distribute on top of the onion. Peel the eggs, cut into slices, and place on top of the potatoes.
- Cover with codfish, and finally the bread crumbs. Place some olives across the top of the tray, sprinkle the entire surface with of olive oil, and bake until surface is toasted. Serve warm.
|Calories500Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.