Dried and salted cod, commonly called salt cod, can be found at some supermarkets and most fish markets (or online). It needs to be soaked thoroughly to remove all the excess salt, so be sure to follow the instructions on the label (or ask the fishmonger, or search online). Here the cod is flaked and blanched to curb the saltiness, then mixed with tomato paste, eggs, and french fries, in a shortcut verson of bacala (made with mashed potatoes).
- 400 grams cod (shredded)
- 1 can tomato paste (with garlic)
- 4 eggs
- frenchfries (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- Soak, clean, and shred the cod.
- Bring a pan of water to a boil, and blanch the cod. Set aside.
- Heat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
- Put the tomato paste in a bowl, and mix with a hand mixer.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Finally, add the cod and the potatoes. Mix well.
- Pour into an oven-safe tray, and bake until browned.