This baked fish casserole features cod, which flakes easily after cooking, all the better to be evenly distributed (along with onion, spinach, carrot, and potatoes) in the rich and delicious bechamel sauce that binds everything together. The recipe calls for store-bought (frozen) shoestring potatoes, which will need to be thawed first, and also a package bechamel mix, found in many supermarkets (or make your own with just butter, flour, and milk).
- olive oil
- 1 onions (large, coarsely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (coarsely chopped)
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 grated carrot (optional)
- 4 cod fillets (cooked and flaked)
- 1 package potatoes (shoestring)
- 1 package Béchamel Sauce
- bread crumbs
- Heat a skillet with olive oil and saute the onion and garlic. Once the onion and garlic are softeded and golden brown, add the spinach and grated carrots. Saute until softened and cooked through. Add the flaked cod. Keep stirring with a wooden spoon, making sure the ingredients are well combined. Pour the shoestring potatoes on top and add enough milk to soften the potatoes. Stir well and continue to cook. Finish with the bechamel sauce and stir to combine. The mixture should not be too thick or too runny.
- Pour into an oven-proof baking dish and top with breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Serve with salad.