- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots (peeled and finely diced)
- 2 celery stalks (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 stems thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/3 pounds potatoes (peeled and cut into cubes)
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 9 ounces mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 cod fillets (skin on, about 6 oz each)
- 1/2 bunch chives (sliced)
- 2 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 eggs
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Sauté the shallots and celery for 2 mins. Sprinkle with flour and cook 30 seconds. Add the stock and thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 mins. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Remove the thyme. Puree the sauce with an immersion blender. Strain sauce through a sieve. Add the lemon juice and season to taste.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for about 20 mins or until tender.
- Cook the bacon in a medium skillet until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Wipe skillet clean. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in the skillet on medium heat. Cook the mushrooms for 2 mins. Season to taste. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp of sugar and cook until caramelized, stirring. Add the vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3-4 mins.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Cook the fish, skin side down, for 3-4 mins. Turn and cook on the other side for 5-6 mins. Drain the potatoes. Add the sauce and lightly crush the potatoes. Stir in the chives.
- For the eggs, heat oil in a deep skillet to about 350°F. Break the eggs individually into a ladle and slide them into the hot oil. Fry for 2-3 mins. Drain on paper towels. To serve, stack potatoes, cod, some mushrooms and an egg on each plate. Serve with remaining mushrooms.
|Calories1670Calories from Fat1440|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat1440|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.