Cod with Cornbread and SpinachO Meu Tempero
In Portugal, you'll find as many variations on this recipe as there are home cooks, and you should feel free to adapt this recipe to make it your own, too. They all take advantage of the natural affinity that the main ingredients have for one another, namely cod and potatoes, and the usual seasoning base of onion and garlic. This recipe also uses another component that's often included: cornbread that's crushed and used as the breadcrumbs in the topping, which turns delightfully golden and crisp in the oven.
- 500 grams shredded cod (frozen)
- 1 onions (large)
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 700 grams canned potatoes
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 slices cornbread
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- 2Dice cod while still slightly frozen into cubes for more even pieces.
- 3Place fish in a colander. Cut onion into very thin slices.
- 4Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté onion and bay leaf.
- 5Add chopped garlic to pan.
- 6Add thawed and well-drained cod to pan.
- 7Reduce heat and simmer until fish is cooked.
- 8In another skillet, fry sliced potatoes in hot vegetable oil.
- 9Drain cooked potatoes on paper towels.
- 10Grind 2 slices cornbread in the food processor.
- 11Arrange potatoes, raw spinach and cod in a glass baking dish.
- 12Cover with pan sauce and cornbread crumbs.
- 13Drizzle with olive oil and bake until golden.
- 14Serve hot, accompanied with a green salad, if desired.